The candidate to pursue a career in civil engineering should preferably have:
· Interests. Mainly in urban construction, science and arts.
· Aptitudes. In the scientific calculation, capacity for analysis and synthesis, in the management of abstract concepts, organization, physical resistance, inventiveness and originality, sociability, communication, drawing and overall vision, skill in dealing with people.
· Attitudes Taste for outdoor activities, sense of authority, respect for values, customs and traditions.
Knowledge: have knowledge of physics, mathematics and chemistry that allow you to understand and develop the civil engineering sciences. Have the basic knowledge of structures, geotechnics, hydraulics, construction, sanitation, systems and transport that allow you to propose solutions to the problems addressed by civil engineering.
Have knowledge of computer and graphic communication for its effective use in solving problems. Have general knowledge of administration. Know the society where the civil engineer will be developed, as well as their resources and needs.
Skills: be able to apply the knowledge of basic sciences and civil engineering to the integral solution of concrete problems. The problems of civil engineering are identified with the planning, design and implementation of the construction, operation and maintenance of works of various types that can be classified into the following groups:
Housing: houses and buildings.
· Urban: networks and systems of treatment, supply and drainage of water, pavement and road systems and transport.
· Industrial: water treatment, supply and drainage systems, industrial warehouses, support systems, stiffening and foundation of various equipment and machinery.
· Infrastructure: roads, including bridges and tunnels, airports, railways, maritime works, dams, irrigation works and water supply as well as hydroelectric works
These works are addressed by the civil engineer in structural, hydraulic, systems, material and subsoil behavior.
Have the ability to observe, interpret and model the physical phenomena of nature. Be able to create, innovate, assimilate and adapt technology in the field of his career. Have the ability to operate computer equipment, as well as to handle and interpret the basic computer packages of use in their field. Be able to organize and manage their own work and the development of specific projects, including evaluation, budgeting and supervision. To have the ability to communicate and to arrange, with the potential beneficiaries and with the users of the projects. Have the ability to participate and collaborate in team work. Have the ability to interact with groups of specialists in different branches of engineering and other professionals.
Attitudes: Address the problems of engineering from an inclusive view of the global problem of social phenomena. Search optimization of use of both human and material resources. Have a spirit of service for society.
Have an attitude of respecting the values, customs and traditions of the communities affected by the works. To have an attitude of respect for the rights implied by the dignity of the human condition. Exercise the profession in a responsible manner, taking into account the principles and ethical values that force probity and honesty. Have an attitude of respect for the environment. Assume practically the need for constant updating.